Depending which part of Slovenia you are in, the greetings used locally might be different – please note that each region has their own dialect as well.
Which greetings that you will be using also depends on the time of the day. As in English, we say “Good morning” in the morning and “Good evening” in the evening. Here’s some guidelines.
During the day, until 9 AM, Dobro Jutro – Good morning.
After 9 AM and the most common form for Hello
- Živjo – more friendly
- Dober Dan – more formal and polite “Good day”
- Zdravo – usually used near Maribor region
There’s a few different ways to say Goodbye
- Adijo or Čao – more friendly “Bye”
- Nasvidenje – more formal and polite
- Se vidimo (jutri) – with friends “See you (tomorrow)”
If it’s in the evening, from 6-7 to 9 PM, Dober Večer – Good evening.
Saying Goodbye or when you’re heading to bed, Lahko Noč – Good night.
I hope you are enjoying yourself – learning some basics greetings!
Se vidimo kmalu – See you soon,